Growth Booster: Spice Up Your Google My Business Profile With Blogs 🌶
Google is the search tool of choice for almost 95% of Australians.1 With such large numbers, and so many people finding businesses through Google, optimising your Google My Business (GMB) profile can create a point of difference that nudges you ahead of your competitors.
A highly effective optimisation (and one that is often overlooked) is adding your blog to Google My Business, which displays your latest posts in a carousel. This makes your GMB profile much more eye-catching, and if you cover topics that are relevant and genuinely valuable to your prospects and customers, they can vastly increase your credibility and encourage people to click through to your website. It can also result in your blogs being indexed more quickly by Google, so that they show up faster in search results. Win win!
From the outset, adding blogs to your GMB profile appears to be a manual process. But thankfully, there’s a clever tool you can use to automate the process—dlvr.it (pronounced “deliver it”). Once set up, every new blog that you publish will also be added to your GMB profile, and you can expect more leads to click through to your site.
Here’s how it’s done.
Time and cost
Dlvr.it is a free tool that can be set up in around 10 minutes. Once done, it’ll do its work without any input. Huzzah! 🙌🏼
What you need
You’ll need two things to complete this process:
- The Google account/login that you use for Google My Business
- A dlvr.it account
Google My Business blog—how to set it up
- First, we need to get the URL of your blog’s RSS feed. Go to your website in a browser, and then add “/feed” to the end of the URL. Here’s an example for our own website:
If this doesn’t work, your blog may be on a subdomain, or is stored in a different folder. If that’s the case, go to the blog itself in a browser, and add “/feed” to the end of that instead. For example:
When the page is loaded, complete a search (CMD+F or CTRL+F in Chrome) for the title of one of your blogs. If it appears in the code, the feed is correct. Keep this page open for now.
- Create an account on dlvr.it.
- Sign in using the new account, click on “Socials” in the top menu bar, and then the “Add Social.”
- Click on the blue GMB button (the house/store with the G in it) to connect your GMB profile.
- Sign into using your GMB account.
- Once signed in, select your location (if there are multiple locations), and click “Connect.”
- Click on “Feeds,” in the top menu bar. Now copy the URL for your website’s feed (completed in step 1), and add the URL to the “Auto post from a site…” search field on dlvr.it, shown below.
- When the search result appears underneath, click the “Connect” button on the right-hand side.
- Once the feed is connected, click on the greyed out “Connect Socials” link.
- Click the blue GMB button.
- Click on the text field next to “Your Routes,” and type “Blog posts to GMB” or something else that will help you identify the feed in future. Then click on the “Start Posting” button on the bottom right.
- The next screen will show details of the GMB feed. Click on the small “settings” icon on the right (shown below) to customise how the blogs feed through to your GMB profile.
- Set the feed details, frequency, and other settings as shown below.
- If you’d like to better understand how the feed works, read the “trickle” info shown below.
- You’re done! Your GMB profile will now start showing the latest blogs you have posted on your website.
How to manually add your blogs to GMB
If you’d prefer to add your blogs manually rather than relying on a separate tool such as dlvr.it, you can do so by following these instructions.
- Log into your GMB account, and click on “Posts” in the left hand menu.
- Click on the “Add Update” link/button in the top bar
- Add a photo for your blog. A landscape photo (wider than it is tall) is the best format.
- Add the title of your blog in the “Write your post” field.
- Click the “Add a button” dropdown, select “Learn more,” and then paste the URL to your blog in the “Link for your button” field.
- Click “Publish,” and you’re done!
- How to Use Google My Business to Get More Customers — Hootsuite
- The Ultimate Guide to Google My Business By HubSpot — HubSpot
- Complete Guide: How To Setup Google My Business In 2021 — Ardent Growth
- Search Engine Market Share Australia, Statcounter